Sunday, November 9, 2008

Overview #3 Showing

I found this weeks project to be both fun and challenging. I have been in such a habit of telling that it was hard to get into the swing of showing. When I choose a bit to show about I tried to pick something that would show well, that I could more fully explain by showing. A bit of their thought, or their emotion. Part of their personality.

I tried to show them as dynamic characters, and once I got the hang of showing, I found it very enjoyable, the immediacy of the showing rather than the distance of the telling, became rather exciting, I could bring their personalities and situations into a greater focus and I was able to show them for what they are.

Showing also helped my word counts, before I would struggle to get what I wanted into the word limit, but it was easier with the showing to be able to do that. I found that it was funner to interact with my characters in this way.

I have learned a lot this week, I am really enjoying working on this and seeing the improvement to my own work. I also enjoy being able to read your work every day.

1 comment:

Nagi said...

Your insight about the immediacy of showing versus the distance of telling was something I hadn't thought of. I'm glad this week's exercise helped.