This week was an exercise in interesting. I liked it a lot. I actually wrote some poetry - and, oddly enough, was inspired later to just write a poem in the most inopportune place, while driving my car - and even though it wasn't good poetry, I recaptured some of my former grasp on images and metaphors. It was fun seeing how the two of us came up with very different interpretations of the random words we used. I did my best to try to come up with a use for the word beyond the most obvious one. Had I posted "endless" on heavy noir, I'm sure there would have been something about the characters from The Sandman. It was good to see what we could come up with.
This exercise really helped me deal with writer's block, with coming up with something random and new and fresh every time. I noticed that different scenes had predominant characteristics, such as dialogue, or description, or characterization, and I tried to go for a twist as often as possible. The snippets I wrote, I realize, encapsulate my basic approach to a short story - it has a technical focus, usually, and I try to give it a twist. It was a learning experience as a writer. I'm glad to see I can still write original fiction.
No comments:
Post a Comment