Monday, June 8, 2009

Contact Established

(click on the link to start the song at the appropriate time - best to open the song in another tab if you can)

There were many ways to make an entrance, and Carolyn was determined to make the best one. She lingered in the doorway of the diner, watching Scott and Clay squabble over their pool cues while Dan quietly cleared the table behind them. Scott looked different with short hair, older, but then they were all determined to look older than they were. They’d grown up too fast.

None of them were expecting that Carolyn had grown anything but taller. She ran a hand through her hair, smoothed down her blouse, and swiveled her hips to test the flare of her skirt.

Bob hovered over the jukebox, jangling quarters in one hand. He’d finally cut his hair so it didn’t look like a girl’s, and it wasn’t nearly as apt to get into his face while he was drumming.

Carolyn took a deep breath. Time to make her mark. She pushed open the door and strode across the diner. She kept her shoulders back and her chin up. Several heads turned as she passed, but she ignored them.

Clay and Scott’s argument came to an abrupt halt. Dan missed a shot, and Carolyn resisted the urge to smirk to herself. She’d waited a long time for this.

“Hey Robbie.” She kept her voice low, tapped him on the shoulder. “I thought your dad told me you’d meet me outside.”

Bob jumped and spun, one fist coming up, and that was good - he’d kept his alertness in the three years Carolyn had been gone. Surprise lit his eyes, and his lips parted, and then he said,

“Hello?”

Carolyn reached up - she had to reach up now - and ruffled his hair like she had when they were twelve. “Robbie, it’s me. Caro. Come on - you remember me?” She pretended to rabbit-punch him, and he blocked automatically, but his gaze was glued to her legs.

She shimmied her hips a little bit and saw him swallow hard. “I know, it looks so weird, but my mom’s been on me forever about not being a tomboy, so I figured if I wore a skirt in public just once she’d get over herself. How’ve you been? I almost didn’t recognize you - you’re so tall! Taller than Clay. I thought you were twins.”

Behind Bob, the jukebox player came to life. Boy With The Beat. Of course.

“We’ve -” his voice squeaked, and he turned bright red, coughed, “we’ve been good. Just got back from Hawaii where we were recording -”

Carolyn tugged on his wrist. “I love this song. You picked it - you have to dance with me.”


Bob allowed himself to be led out to the middle of the diner floor. Carolyn called out to his brothers and waved. They gaped. In the corner, John spoke into his comm.

Contact with targets established.

(466 words - "I Love Rock'n'Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)

2 comments:

Madness said...

That was really fun! I can see Asia doing that. Bobs reaction is typical of the teenage boy he is, but is funny all the same.

Nicely done.

Chaos said...

The song really sets up the scene here. I don't know, I could just see myself in Carolyn's position and I loved it. Nothing like a tomboy getting her girl on, eh? ;]