Memory is never as sweet as
A first time.
The second bite
Doesn’t tingle with the same newness
As the first trepidation
Of closing lips over spoon
Or tentatively picking
At the first line of a novel,
Word by word
Like marbles from a dish.
Age dims youthful enthusiasm.
Dull shadows linger in
Corners of chapters where
Starlight and moonshine beamed.
Metaphors that tasted of gold
Tarnish to copper on the tongue.
Plot, a winding snake, is
Inexplicably a predictable pattern
Of endless scales, row on row.
But finishing a beloved book
Is stepping across a threshold
From winter’s chill
Into fire-lit warmth
And coming
Home.
3 comments:
That was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!
I know it is line break, but I felt a flow to it. Your images are powerful. I loved it. Hail to the Master!
Thanks! I read four novels today, some old LJ Smith stuff, plus SRB's The Demon's Lexicon (which I love love love and totally recommend) and so I thought writing about reading would be...apropos.
Oh man... Nagi... wonderful line break work. Oh, fantastic. Man. Can't think of anything else to say.
Post a Comment