It was not long ago that
we waited together
in the hallway of a hospital,
getting a glimpse,
familiar to one,
unfamiliar to the rest.
He smiled, looked like
he had not slept for
days.
And then we saw her.
Someone so small,
and yet mattered so much.
I realized that life
had taken over, and that
soon this would be
just another memory.
And I will agree with Mister Folds
when he says,
"Everybody knows,
it sucks to grow up."
Well played, sir.
(84 words)
2 comments:
I'm so, so sad that I missed this moment. I wanted to be there. I want to see baby Kairi. I also love references to songs, so the last two stanzas are for the win. The short lines are nice for impact, and I liked the jagged grammar, because it felt like real poetry and not prose with line breaks (of which I am often guilty).
I didn't understand some of it. I got eventually that it was a birth.
Post a Comment