Saturday, June 6, 2009

Craft

Rough and calloused hands smooth water across the surface of the leather.
The gentle scent of released tannins permeate the room.
Sure and steady fingers guide the knife as it cuts furrows into the surface;
delicate curves and sharp angles.
Gentle tapping echoes through the house, hour after hour.

Tap. Shift. Tap. Shift.

An image slowly surfaces as the mallet and tools move across the leather.
First an outline, then details are painstakingly added.
The artist breathing life into a piece of hide.



(This isn't the official one for today, I just had to get it out of my head so I could move on.)

2 comments:

Nagi said...

I think you and I have the same problem - we think in sentences instead of lines. You had a better grasp of concrete images here again, but I still felt disconnected from them. Maybe throw down some metaphors and similes? Also maybe throw out some definite and indefinite articles, make it about images not syntax, like:

"steady fingers guide the knife as it
Furrows into the suface;
delicate curves, sharp angles
gently tapping through the house
hour after hour"

It's just a suggestion. I like the starkness of the second stanza.

The last line was pretty awesome.

Chaos said...

I think this was supposed to be more of a prose thing... and it turned out great. Is this all there is to it? Or just an idea that you needed to get out of your head?