Sunday, November 2, 2008
Thomas Malvolio Phillips
Kisses and heartaches, madness and murder - Tom liked them better when he had to memorize their lines. But he’d been through them all, and would shake his head when people asked about the Carver murders. He straightened his tie with absent hands, checked that his uniform would pass assembly inspection, and slipped into the Great Hall behind the rest of his form. If he closed his eyes, he’d walk down that street in Kyoto toward that house where he knew she would be, and then he’d take her in his arms - and then snap to attention for the school song.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have always liked Tom's character in the Carver Murder Mystery. I like how he is trying to escape, how he wants to be with Meg. Did they ever go to Kyoto in the story?
I liked how he is lost in his imagination and then must snap out of it. Is this set after the story, or is it somewhere in the middle?
Very good, I loved it.
(I got you jangly things at the fair, and will sen them on as soon as I can.)
I'm glad you liked it. This moment is set after the novel's storyline. Tom exists after the mystery ends, and I wanted to capture some of that.
In the actual novel, no everything is set in England. Whether or not Tom goes to Kyoto, say, in search of Meg, has yet to be told.
Post a Comment